A40 Brewing : Brew Day #1
11th March 2019
- 16h00 : Start Wyeast Whitbread Ale #1099 in 900Ml Water + Dried dark malt extract at 80:20 water:malt. At 20C and in flask over agitator. Maintained agitation until time to pitch (about 4hr45)
- 16h00 : Start heating 33L water to 80C (We did 78C but 80 better)
- 16h50 : Begin Mashing: 15L water. 4.5 Kg Grist as above. 78C water gave 68C Mash
- 17h10 : Temp drop 2° in 20min so added 1L at 75C to 16L total now back at 68C
- 17h15 : Start reheating plain water to 80C for sparging
- 17h40 : Mash temp down to 66C
- 17h50 : Begin Verlauf. 1L wort at at time. Down side of mash till wort started to clear
- 18h00 : Finish Verlauf
- 18h05 : Begin Sparge. 2L water at a time at 80C. Add about 6L. Tot vol only 20L (due to soaking into mash and evaporation).
- 18h30 : Test sample wort at approx 20C. OG 1045. Sparge further to 29L total. Wort now runs clear
- 18h40 : Re-Test. OG now 1035. Total Sparge water was about 15L.
- 18h45 : Move copper to heat and turn on
- 19h10 : Rolling boil @ 100C. Add 50g Fuggles Hops
- 19h40 : Add Irish Moss (Copper Finings)
- 20h40 : Crash wort into sterilised bucket for transfer to fermenter. Heat exchanger with steady cold flow and slow flow of wort drops teml from boil down to about 16C.
- 20h45 : Transfer cooled wort to fermenter and pitch yeast. Remaining Vol 26L. Fermentation fridge set to 20C. Ambient temp in brewery started about 10C and rose to 15C.
And now we wait for 5-7 days to check fermentation.